07 May 2011

STFU Already!

I arrived to my parent's house last night about 10pm. I was so tired, I basically stumbled into the house, on the couch, then down the stairs, into my bed. While, completely forgetting the whole time about the cicadas.

Oh yes. The Magicicada is a thirteen year cicada, meaning that they only are annoying every thirteen years. The last time they were out, was 1998, and I was in middle school. I remember the boys pulling down the tree branches at lunch, and letting them go, flinging cicadas everywhere, making all the girls scream. I laughed. Anywho, these noisy bugs can make their annoying noise up to 100 dB, which is about as loud as a lawn mower passing three feet away. And they make this noise as soon as the sun comes up, until it goes down. In other words, if you live in the woods, like my parents, you're pretty much having to repeat yourself if you go outside.

These annoying bugs live about a month. Basically, they come out of the ground, which they've been hibernating in for about thirteen years, come out, mate, lay eggs, then die. The eggs mature for about six to ten weeks, where they drop to the ground, bury into the ground, and the cycle starts all over again. Hmph.

For more educated sounding information, or when these bugs might be attacking you, please check out the Wiki page I ganked my information from.

1 comment:

  1. I've never actually seen one, but damn they are both gross AND annoying. Thanks, Mother Nature!

    ReplyDelete