23 June 2011

Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts, for your pleasure.

I'm such a slacker. I promised you interviews, and I've just been lazy. So, if you'll forgive me, without further ado, Vanessa from Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts!

Please state your name, blog, and the crime that you're here for.
Vanessa, Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts, and I'm being tried for crafting with out a license. But I'm innocent, I tells ya!

What are your hobbies and interests?
I like to knit, embroider, kick ass at kung-fu class, and I sometimes crochet. I've also recently got into building terrariums and I like to collect small plastic toys. I've also been learning how to work a sewing machine. 

Proudest Finished Object.
What brought you to do these things? My mom taught me how to knit and crochet and my older sister taught me how to embroider. We're a crafty family and someone is always doing something. I took kung-fu
lessons from Sifu Vizzio (www.vizzio.com) and I was a student of his as a little girl. His studio was a few blocks from my house and my mom signed me up for classes because I hated the dance classes she made me
attend. I left after a few years because school work just got too much to handle and I found him again a year ago and he remembered me! I've always loved being a tough girl.

Which one are you most proud of? I'm proud of my handiwork because it's something that I've done on my own. My knitting skills have improved with the help of friends but ultimately, a lot of problems I've solved by simple research and trial and error. Also, it's great knowing that I made something with my own two hands. With kung-fu, there's a lot of pride in fighting for me. I was always picked on as a kid and later on I was in a controlling relationship so I've always felt weak. But when I'm in the ring, I'm not weak any more, I'm strong
and powerful. There's a similar sense of accomplishment in the two, actually.
That Darn Sweater

Which one are you least proud of? As far as FOs? My crocheted sweater!! The back and the front are two different lengths and widths! I have no idea how that happened.

What's currently in your fridge? Some chocolate milk, cheese and tortillas. We're going to be moving soon so our fridge is rather empty.

When looking for clothing, what are you typically drawn to? I like big, bright and bold colors. Geometric patterns are also nice. I've been really drawn to this new hipster look sometimes. Also, retro cuts
from the 50s (think mad men) tend to flatter my figure more.


Do you think you could take Chuck Norris on in an Ass Kicking Contest? Uh duh. My Sifu totally kicked his ass once anyway. Did youknow, Chuck Norris is a former Airman as was Bob Ross?

What colors would you say you're most drawn to? Blue! I own so many blue things and blue yarns it's not funny.


When the weather outside is frightful, what do you find delightful? 
Hot chocolate made with milk not water. It needs to be rich and creamy and with tons of whipped cream. All of which make mesick since I'm lactose intolerant.
What would you do for a Klondike bar? Not a thing. I don't like Klondike bars.

First Crocheted Objects
What was your favorite song of the 90s? Just one? Hmmm...I think Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden sums up the 1990s for me. Or Machinehead by Bush. I was really into grunge in the 90s. I do a great Eddy Vedder impersonation. Actually, I ripped it off from Adam Sandler. EV is easy to impersonate anyway.

Do you have any pets? Yes, I have one very cute cat named Little Jerry Seinfeld. He's very silly and he's always getting in the way of things for me.

What is something new you'd like to try? I'd love to learn how to spin straw/wool into gold/yarn. I'd like to learn how to weave and glassworking. Metalsmithing is also pretty cool and I'd like to improve my jewelry making skills.


If we went yarn shopping together, how disastrous would it be?
Very. I can be an enabler sometimes. And I'd point out all the blue yarn going "isn't this a really cute color?" even though it's the same damn shade of sea blue every time. Also, I'd probably forget that you're allergic to alpaca.
Washington. Washington. Six foot twenty, killing for fun.
You recently survived cancer, is there anything you'd like to say on the experience?
It was really hard but I learned a lot about myself in the process. I don't mind talking about my story but for the love of mustard, if you meet someone going  through cancer, do NOT tell them about someone you know that died from it. It happens to me all the time and it really blows my mind! I don't want to hear how lucky I am to be alive and that I can still have a recurrence and die. I really don't need to be reminded of this. Tell me about people you know that BEAT cancer, those are the stories I'm craving to hear. And don't tell me about a study you heard that links cancer to a certain food. It gets annoying and I really just want to enjoy my meal with out guilt.

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome! Sorry it took so long. :\

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview. And yeay for kung fu!

    ReplyDelete