30 September 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu

Inspired by a luncheon I recently went to, I set out on finding a recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu. I found it! And it's a good one.

Chicken Cordon Bleu
(serves 4)

I followed the recipe as linked above, and then I took the suggestions of one of the comments. It reads:

After baking for 30 minutes, then add the cheese.
"I read the reviews and took the suggestion of some others. First of all, I dipped the chicken in egg wash, then laid the slices of ham and cheese on top. I got a plate and sprinkled breadcrumbs and placed the chicken on it and rolled it from there. I also added a pat of butter on top of each. It came out beautifully and you must use the sauce (which is 1 can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1 tbsp of lemon juice). I put a bed of white rice on the plates, put the chicken cordon blue on top of the rice covered with the cream sauce. A good side dish is buttered rolls, mmm-mhmm! All I can say was that it was such a beautiful presentation and absolutely heavenly!"

The only thing I didn't do was dip the chicken in an egg wash. I forgot about that part.  Or use toothpicks, because apparently we don't have any. Amazingly, the chicken didn't unroll or anything! I do have to say, this recipe was easier than I thought it would be. Though, smashing the chicken with a meat hammer was a whole lot messier than I originally though. I would highly suggest an apron or a HAZMAT suit.  I was going to take pictures of the whole process, but the raw chicken splattered everywhere, and I didn't want to clean my camera. I also used "store brand" ingredients and it tasted just fine.  My husband has already demanded that I make it again. I'd recommend this recipe to anyone.

nom nom nom

1 comment:

  1. omg chicken cordon bleu is like my favorite thing on earth. Until I discovered chicken saltimbocca in the slow cooker (basically that recipe but drowned in cream of chicken soup and broth).

    A tip on smashing the chicken because it's the most terrible, horrible thing ever created for the kitchen - put a bit of plastic cling wrap over / under. It helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete