19 October 2011

And I would do anything for love...

Last night, were two firsts for me. One, was boiling potatoes to make mashed potatoes. I'd never done it that way before! I normally slice and dice 'em and throw them in the pressure cooker, but being that the green beans were in there, I had to figure out how to do it like everyone else. They turned out just fine! I almost want to keep boiling them, just because they don't burn as easily, like in the pressure cooker.

The next, was making meatloaf. The meatloaf I had as a kid tasted of ketchup and onions. I will leave off names to protect that family member, but she made meatloaf a thing to dread to me. So, I had a pound of ground just sitting in the fridge begging to be used. The only thing I found that I had all the ingredients for? Meatloaf. Well...okay. I remembered PJ had given me her recipe a while back, but in my message deleting frenzy, I accidentally got rid of it. The only thing I remember from her recipe was "Dijon mustard." Okay. So, basically combining three different recipes and substituting for my own needs, I came up with the most delicious meatloaf I've ever eaten.

Yes, I put a design in the ketchup.


Amber's Bacon Meatloaf

(Serves 4-6)
1lb ground beef (thawed)
1 medium egg
½ tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup milk
1 cup dried Italian seasoned bread crumbs
3 strips of bacon (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350ºF

In a large bowl combine the beef, egg, onion powder, Worcestershire, milk, and bread crumbs. Then, season with salt and pepper. Mix together with a large spoon. Spoon into an 8x8 baking dish or a loaf pan. Put bacon on top, set aside.

In a small dish (I just left it in the 1 cup measuring cup to save dishes) combine the sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well. Spread all over the top of your loaf.

Bake for one hour. Remove from oven and let sit for at least five minutes, or until it stops bubbling.

And that's it! You might have noticed I didn't add any actual onions. I did not like the crunchy bits in the middle of the meat. It was one of the things that bothered me. I also added the  bacon, because ours is needing to be used. My husband described this as "Fluffy and airy" meatloaf, and he "liked it this way better." Well, I think I found a winner for my house.

1 comment:

  1. I've always boiled potatoes. You're just weird.

    Also "bacon needing to be used". Excuses. ;b

    ReplyDelete