23 November 2011

Pre-Thanksgiving planning.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving! And around these parts, we have to do a little pre-gaming. Or pre-baking, if you'd like.
To make my mother's secret dressing (I will not share the recipe!) You have to make the cornbread a day ahead, so it gets "old." Now, that recipe, I will share with you. Being that it's just the two of us, I cut the cornbread recipe in half:

Maybe I'll Eat YOUR Cornbread
2 cups of self rising cornmeal
2 eggs
2 tbsp of bacon or sausage drippings (I used olive oil)
and buttermilk or milk (I used buttermilk)

Heat oven to 400°F, place iron skillet with oil in there to preheat and warm up skillet. 
Mix cornmeal, eggs, and drippings/oil together, add milk slowly. You want to make the mixture moist, but not soupy. Somewhere between thick and thin consistancy. Once you get it there, take skillet out of oven, pour mixure into skillet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your oven. IT should be a nice golden brown when you're done. 


Awww yeaaah boooyyyy!
That's a 10 1/4 inch skillet, and it only fills it up half way. If you double the recipe, the same size pan should still work. 


After the cornbread was done, I made TWO pies. Yes. Two. A pumpkin and a sweet potato pie, per request of my husband. I decided I wasn't going another Thanksgiving without a pumpkin pie (long, tragic story) and he wanted to try sweet potato pie, so I said, "Why the hell not?" I used my traditional pumpkin pie recipe, which turns out was developed by Eagle Brand and had to search the internet for a sweet potato pie recipe, being that we have no family one (terrible Southerners we are.) I found this one, and in the description it reads "special friend in Atlanta." What? Yeah, I'm sold. So, I made it, too. I've got my fingers crossed. It looks and smells delicious. I'm trying to resist sampling it. 


Pumpkin and Sweet Potato
I'm so excited to try them. I'm seriously thinking about just having a damn slice tonight. I mean, it's just me and my husband for Thanksgiving...no one will care...



No comments:

Post a Comment