03 December 2011

macncheez

I have a confession to make. I don't like homemade macaroni and cheese. The only kind I've ever liked, is the stuff from the blue box. Now, before everyone gets huffy and calls me the anti-christ, let me explain. I don't like cheddar cheese. It's too...bold? Strong? Harsh? I'm not sure of the word I'm looking for, but I don't like it. There has been only ONE homemade mac n cheese that I've had that I actually enjoyed. I was too young to remember to get a recipe. So, I've began an adventure. To find a macncheez that I love.  A couple of days ago, I think I might have found it! Only problem? Husband does not approve. Gah. Well, now that I've found one that I love, I have to find one that WE love.


Oh. Yes. There it is. My beloved macncheez. I found the recipe via Pinterest, and so I decided to give it a try.
Adapted from this one, here's what I did:
I ran out of milk, so I desperately used half and half. Not a terrible decision.

2 cups dried pasta (I used shells as you can see)
1 cup of milk (2%)
1 cup of half and half
1 cup of loosely packed shredded cheese (I used American and Cheddar)
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp dijon mustard

I followed the directions to a T. It turned out DELICIOUS. It's a thick macncheez, sticks to your ribs kind of meal. Now, I know I said I didn't like cheddar, but with the help of the American cheese, it wasn't too harsh. I absolutely loved the zing that the mustard gave it. That's what my husband didn't like. Party pooper. I am totally going to make this again. Maybe with a different cheese (or cheeses) and I'll try it without mustard, to see if I can make him approve. Mmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I usually just use Velveeta for fake cheese goodness. And probably too much black pepper. Because nothing is complete without black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kraft is the best, hands down, but I'll eat pretty much any kind of mac and cheese :) I'll have to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete