01 January 2012

Happy 2012!

It's the new year, and everyone's about making resolutions. Go to the gym. Stop smoking. Visit family more often. Shave your back weekly. You know, same old same old. I actually stopped making resolutions in high school, because I realized I can't keep them. I once heard someone describe resolutions as "a to do list for the first week in January." How true is that? And how often to people actually stick to them? Can you say that you've stuck to your resolutions for the 365 days of the year? Do you know anyone that's actually done it? Exactly.
So, what I did in 2010, on my birthday, I started a 101 in 1001 aka the Day Zero project.

Basically, what you do is you set a list of 101 goals you want to accomplish in the next 1001 days (or 2.75 years) and that's that. You either do them, or you fail. You learn from your accomplishments and your failures and you try, try again. They can be as simple as "get a pedicure" to something as complicated as "visit all 50 states by horseback." You chose to whatever your liking. I've heard some people describe it as a "mini bucket list." I love mine. It doesn't make me feel rushed or a total failure. I'm proud to say I have 38 out of 101 accomplished so far. That might not seem like a lot, but I have things like "Read two books a month" that won't be accomplished until three months from now. So, some of them take time, some of them don't. A few are expensive, some are free.

I encourage anyone to start one. I find it's most satisfying.

2 comments:

  1. I, for one, vow to shave my back daily. I do have some long term goals I want to accomplish AT SOME POINT of the year (example: go on a vacation). Others are year long ones (reading a certain number of books) and others are monthly. And I also have weekly and daily goals that are aimed at the chores and water consumption. I've found that now that I've been making very specific goals with specific deadlines (4 tumblers of water a day for example) they are much easier to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 101 in 1001 - Interesting idea. I might just have to look into that...

    ReplyDelete