26 April 2012

Day Four: There is a season...turn turn turn

Today reads:
As spring is in the air in the northern hemisphere and those in the southern hemisphere start setting their sights for the arrival of winter, a lot of crocheters and knitters find that their crafting changes along with their wardrobe. Have a look through your finished projects and explain the seasonality of your craft to your readers. Do you make warm woollens the whole year through in preparation for the colder months, or do you live somewhere that never feels the chill and so invest your time in beautiful homewares and delicate lace items. How does your local seasonal weather affect your craft?

My, what a great question. Living in Georgia most my life, I kinda experienced four seasons. KIND of.  Georgia has Spring, Summer, Dog days of Summer, Fall, and normally a mild winter, meaning, snow that lasts more than a day is rarely seen. Then, I moved to Fort Knox, Kentucky, where I experienced the most snow I've ever seen in my life. A whole week, nothing but snow and ice. It was amazing. Now, we're living in Hell El Paso, which is a desert climate and totally different than anything I've ever experienced. I own five gallon drums of sunscreen and lotion, I've never had so many bloody noses, and it's just plain hot and windy, constantly. It's very interesting to me. With that being said, you'd think wool is out of the question. Nope.
It snowed here twice, last year. I was impressed. So, while it was only a few days I needed my wooly things, it doesn't mean I won't stop making them.

Truth be told, I find myself wanting to knit socks and sweaters and crochet blankets. Warm things. I mean, what can you knit or crochet that won't make you sweat in the desert? Lace cardigans, I suppose. But, this is why I have friends and family in cold places to where I can still knit and crochet these goods. Plus, I've gotta go back to Georgia sometime...

So, to make a long story short, no I don't craft for the seasons. I knit/crochet what I want, when I want.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. When we moved to Colorado, the climate change was... dramatic. We weren't in a desert climate but cold as heck and I've never seen so much snow in my life. It was like winter was October - April. There's always a need for wooly things. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to invest in some saline spray. Spray that stuff up your nose once a day and it will make a difference in the amount of blood you see. I think there is a name brand one out now, but walmart always had cheap generic ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your attitude! I generally don't craft based on the weather either, but being away from a "colder" climate in WA, I find myself making fewer and fewer snuggly, flannel blankets in favor of lighter-weight cotton ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I agree, we should make what makes us happy :)

    ReplyDelete