24 April 2012

Needs moar belly dancing.

So, while I'm waiting for my hair to dry, so I can participate in today's Knit&Crochet blog, I'll tell you about my Madison/Athens adventure.
Madison, GA has one of the prettiest downtown to me. You arrive driving by houses ranging from the mid 1800s to the 1940s, and then hit a small selection of blocks of building filled with some of the most fabulous stuff. It ranges from a tea room, antique store, bakery, and other odds and ends shops. If I want something unique, this is where I go. Especially to the Laughing Moon. That shop NEVER fails to have 394875934875 things I want to buy. Especially in the kitchen section. This year, after looking for it for TWO YEARS I finally found it. My toast clock. If there's one thing you should know about me, I LOVE TOAST. So, it's only appropriate if I have a toast clock, being that the Kit-Cat clocks creep Brian out. Anywho, I got my toast clock and other appropriate things for me, and a few for others, and I sped of to Athens. Home of the University of Georgia (GO DAWGS) and the biggest conglomeration of Hipsters in Georgia. No lie.
I went to visit my friend Stephanie from college, and met her three adorable kids. We chatted for a while about life and the past, and where things were headed in our futures. Then, I headed off into the heart of Athens, the downtown area. I was looking for Junkman's Daughter's Brother. I love that store. It's like a less classy Laughing Moon. I successfully found a belly dancing wrap for me in there, along with other fun trinkets such as a "WTF" notepad for Brian and a "random crap" box for me. After tooling around at Junkman's, I went off in search of a belly dance store that my friend, Jenny, whom I also was going to meet, recommended. Worldwide Fashion. It was jam PACKED with belly dance stuff, ranging from Tribal to Cabaret. I'd hit the motherload. I walked out of there with two cholis, a wrap for Charla and I, and some new bindis. A little disappointed that I couldn't find any harems I liked. Guess I'll have to try my hand at making pants again.
I left in search of Jenny and the Grit. The Grit is the first vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to. And holy crap, was it good. I ordered the three veggie plate, and got an ear of corn, three cheese mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli with lemon herb butter. Oh man. I was so full. I wanted a slice of the chocolate red velvet cake, but I knew it wouldn't fit. After Jenny and I rolled out of there, we went to her belly dance hangout, over at Floorspace. I was going to dance with them, but we got there a little too late, and so I got to watch them dance instead! They were a mix of Turkish and another style that I can't remember, but it's more choreographed folk dancing, instead of the improve style that my group does. It was fun watching. I took some sneaky ninja pictures.

This is the group with their awesome studio that they use
And that's just an awesome picture of Jenny, spinning around, enjoying the newness of my skirt.

They were all very nice, and it was interesting watching a different form of belly dancing. I couldn't recognize any of their moves, but it was fun. I wish now, that I was brave enough to break out my real camera and snap some more shots.

After that, we headed back to Jenny's awesome house. It's so cute and so very her and Richard. After the tour, and a husband-wife drum solo belly dance, and also playing with Jenny's sabre, and petting the cats,  we decided to play wine-infused Rummikub, which was one of the most fun things in my life. It also involved popcorn laced with M&Ms. Jenny and Richard are super awesome, and I had a fantastic time, and it makes me sad that they live three states away and way too many miles. I MISS YOU JENNY.

1 comment:

  1. OMG I love Rummikub! Mom and I used to play that on nights that dad was working.

    And I love my wrap!!

    ReplyDelete