01 May 2012

Day Five, Six and Seven: Oops.

I just realized I forgot to finish off Knitting and Crochet Blog week. My bad. Mainly, because I got stuck on day five, and then everything went chaotic. So, I'll finish it now.

Day Five: Something A Bit Different

I personally couldn't come up with anything, so I give you a video someone else created instead.



Every time I watch this video, it just makes me laugh. Worth watching for knitters and everyone else. There's days I feel this is how I should knit, because "yarn can't feel pain."


Day Six: Improving Your SkillsetHow far down the road to learning your craft do you believe yourself to be? Are you comfortable with what you know or are you always striving to learn new skills and add to your knowledge base? Take a look at a few knitting or crochet books and have a look at some of the skills mentioned in the patterns. Can you start your amigurumi pieces with a magic circle, have you ever tried double knitting, how's your intarsia? If you are feeling brave, make a list of some of the skills which you have not yet tried but would like to have a go at, and perhaps even set yourself a deadline of when you'd like to have tried them by.

Well. That's a weighted question. LET'S ANSWER.
Crochet-
Crochet is what started my yarny love. I feel that If you handed me almost any crochet pattern, I could pretty much be like "VOLIA. I give you your three-toed sloth." Or whatever. Now, while I feel that way, I'd still give my skills an advanced-intermediate skill to them. Make sense? No? More like, I think I can do a few advanced patterns, but nothing too crazy. I'm feelin' pretty good with my crochet though. But, once you get to Tunisian, hair pin lace, or broomstick lace? Yeah, no. Ideally, I'd like to get there one day, but I'm a little obsessed with knitting at the moment.
Knitting-

Still definitely a beginner. I can knit and purl, but when you start throwing ssk, 3ktog4, 5ptog, etc, I start getting confused. I think lace is what's confusing me, but that's okay. That's why we practice and learn and progress. So, I'd say I'm in "Less confused beginner" mode. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far, and I can only go up from here! As the guy in the video said, "yarn can't feel pain."

Day Seven: Crafting Balance
Are you a knitter or a crocheter, or are you a bit of both? If you are monogamous in your yarn-based crafting, is it because you do not enjoy the other craft or have you simply never given yourself the push to learn it? Is it because the items that you best enjoy crafting are more suited to the needles or the hook? Do you plan on ever trying to take up and fully learn the other craft? If you are equally comfortable knitting as you are crocheting, how do you balance both crafts? Do you always have projects of each on the go, or do you go through periods of favouring one over the other? How did you come to learn and love your craft(s)?

I believe I answered the first half of the question for day six. I'm bi-craftual;  a crocheter who knits! I am learning to knit, because I don't like the way crocheted socks look. I just can't get past it. It drives me crazy. I've tried a few different crocheted sock patterns and they just make me sad. So, one of the main reasons for me learning to knit, is so I can make socks. And I love socks. As of right now, everything's leaning towards knitting, because it's my "new" craft and when things are new, I become a bit obsessed with them, and want to do nothing but them. Now, don't get me wrong, I will never give up crocheting, because, to me, it's the best way to make a blanket.

1 comment: