15 October 2012

The Psychic Book of Deleverance Dane

 Since I've started working in a library (again) I have a bit more access to perusing the shelves.  You'd think when I didn't have a job I would have read more. Nope. Anywho, I was dusting the shelves and this one particular book screamed at me. I ignored it. For three days. Everytime I'd look that way at the shelf, it' was all "READ ME, DAMNIT." Oh, well fine. So I checked it out.


I picked it up, not knowing what it'd be about, the flap read:

"A spellbinding, beautifully written novel that moves between contemporary times and one of the most fascinating and disturbing periods in American history-the Salem witch trials.
Harvard graduate student Connie Goodwin needs to spend her summer doing research for her doctoral dissertation. But when her mother asks her to handle the sale of Connie's grandmother's abandoned home near Salem, she can't refuse. As she is drawn deeper into the mysteries of the family house, Connie discovers an ancient key within a seventeenth-century Bible. The key contains a yellowing fragment of parchment with a name written upon it: Deliverance Dane. This discovery launches Connie on a quest--to find out who this woman was and to unearth a rare artifact of singular power: a physick book, its pages a secret repository for lost knowledge.
As the pieces of Deliverance's harrowing story begin to fall into place, Connie is haunted by visions of the long-ago witch trials, and she begins to fear that she is more tied to Salem's dark past then she could have ever imagined.
Written with astonishing conviction and grace, The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane travels seamlessly between the witch trials of the 1690s and a modern woman's story of mystery, intrigue, and revelation."

What's that? It's about history, old buildings AND the Salem Witch Trials? SOLD.

BACKSTORY. Since my genealogy loving, librarian aunt told me this summer that Rebecca Towne Nurse was my (10th) great-grandparent, I've become a little bit more interested in the Salem Witch Trials. And so, this book was a must for me.

Set in 1991, I was prepared for descriptions of bad fashion, and what not. Nope. Just lack of computers and cell phones. It was nice. I really liked Connie, she wasn't annoying or the "omg let me go in the dark scary corner and die" type of person. She's well educated and makes good decisions. It took me half the book to see her fate coming, but I did figure it out before she did. I also really liked the other characters, and I liked that I couldn't figure out her advisor's, Manning Chilton, motive. I also enjoyed that she phonetically did the Bostonian accent. HAVARD YAHD. It made me chuckle, being a Southerner.

Okay, I suck at convincing book reviews, but if you like adventure and history, with a tiny bit of non-mushy romance thrown in, get off your keester and go read this book.




 BONUS:
1. Favorite childhood book? All of the Boxcar Childrens, ever.
2 . Favorite Book lately? See above review.
3. Book you wish you could live in? The Night Circus
4. If you could be any character from a book who would it be and why? This is one of the hardest questions ever. How can I choose just one?
5. Favorite Book turned Movie? Fried Green Tomatoes.
6. Favorite Magazines: Food Network, almost any knitting/crocheting one, and uh, hmm. I'm sure there's a few others, but I don't ssubscribe to any.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the Boxcar Children books ... especially the first one! Can't wait until my kiddos are old enough to enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that happens at the library to me too...I'll walk by a shelf three or four days and that same book just keeps going "pssst...over here!"
    Glad you enjoyed it - I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete