02 January 2013

HAY 2013. HAAAAAY.

Well, if I haven't been the ultimate slacker with this blog. It is in my nature...I can't help it.

Anywho, New Year, New You, right? RIGHT? Here's hoping. Well, in my blogging habits. I'm pretty awesome the way I am.

As I've mentioned countless times before, I don't make resolutions, I give myself challenges or even goals. Which basically are the same things but, shhh. Don't tell my brain that. So with that, here are a few of my non-resolutions:

1. Become capable of walking up a flight of stairs without wheezing.
Some of you may have laughed at this one. While I'm not fat, I'm incredibly out of shape. I'm not kidding. I haven't had a daily exercise routine since 2001. And life is slowly catching up with me. So, my goal is when my husband comes back from being deployed (oh hey, you don't know about that, either.) that I can keep up with him. EPIC CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

2. Read more books. 
Okay, I STILL hear some of you laughing. Mostly, because you've known that I've been reading by myself at the ridiculous age of two or three.  And that I can read about 1000 words per minute. (Mainly textbooks and things I don't want to read.) And that I was ALWAYS at the top of the AR lists in school. /bragging
You also still may be laughing because I've worked in nothing but bookstores and libraries for most of my job history. But damnit, I don't feel that I read enough. My ultimate goal is to read at the very least 52 books this year. (Book a week?) I mean, I work in a LIBRARY. I have FREE BOOKS. Oh well. This just means I need to stay off the internet more.

3. Cook better
While I think I'm a pretty decent home cook, there's always room for improvement, right? I mean, I don't want to start serving up 2 Michelin star courses anytime soon (though, I think it'd be awesome) I just want to know how to do stuff a bit, healthier.  Not your no-fat crap. But using fresh ingredients and spices. How to cut things. How not to dry out the chicken in the oven. How to make things taste awesome without adding all that junk. (I'm looking at you, lard.) I mean, don't get me wrong. Slapping Crisco in your cookies every now and then is heavenly, but don't you think there's better ways to do it?

4. Create more.
I'm putting create instead of craft. It gives it a broader sense of subject.  I want to make a quilt this year. I'd like to make a pair of socks. I'd like to finish my cross-stitch pieces and do a few more. I'd like to learn how to frame. I'd like to have a small herb garden. I'd like to actually finish a dress. I'd like to have better culinary works of art. Update this blog more. Etc. Etc.

5. Be more organized.
My husband once said, "if I leave you to your own devices, you will soothe yourself with organized chaos." Which is true. He's gone, and I don't feel I need to have the house spotless. I mean, it's not like the house is dirty, but the table is full of care package goodies, the couches have magazines and workout equipment all over them. The bedroom still looks like my suitcase exploded. My office...well, it's basically in piles. But, it's all organized. In a messy sort of way. But, how am I going to be more organized, when I already have it Amber organized? That, my dear readers, is the challenge of the century.

6. Survive the deployment.
While, I have a month and some change down, I'd really like to survive it. While I know I can do it, I just don't know how well I can without succumbing to depression.  Yeah, yeah I know I can do this. I mean, it sucks having your husband 34987539487 miles away from you,  and he's all stressed out over there and there's nothing you can do about it besides email and hope for the best. I just wanna hug him. (And various other things not mentionable on blogger...)

And there you have it. My goals (non-resolutions) for this year. I feel they are able to be accomplished. And I hope I can. Cause, I'm awesome, and these would make me even MOAR awesome.

Did I fail to mention that 13 is one of my lucky numbers?

5 comments:

  1. Good luck, my dear! Let me know if I can help you in any way. If you're feeling lonely, I'm just a phone call/email/IM away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you on the organization thing. In fact before you all came over I sat down and plotted out several major organizational projects for this year. I'm most excited about organizing my library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love you and your sense of humor. I can't get enough. Well that's really just it, so I don't know why I said first.
    I love your deployment goal. I know we can all get through, but yes, I want to do more than just survive. I fell like depression is just one little sliver away. At the very least I've turned bipolar. I want to thrive, not just survive! Maybe that'll be my deployment motto...yes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read more as well! And by that, I mean books for myself, not children's stories! :P

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous goals for the new year! I wish you much success with them and let me know if I can help in anyway so that you can attain them! I have a busy 2-year-old you can chase around, even up and down stairs! :D

    ReplyDelete