26 May 2013

A New Diet.

Diet. Every time you hear the word diet, you think of all the joy being sucked out of your life.  Which is odd. Because diet is defined as:

a : food and drink regularly provided or consumed
b : habitual nourishment
c : the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason
d : a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight <going on a diet>

(Thanks, merriam-webster.com)

So, as you can see, diet means quite a few different things. And it doesn't all mean the same thing. So, when I say I have a new diet, I'm using definition a. 

I'm going on a Soy Free diet. And it's challenging. Not because I love to eat soy, but because it's in EVERYTHING. 

Some of you are asking why? Why am I doing this? Why am I giving up delicious things like Reese's and soy sauce? In the name of SCIENCE!!! (What other good reason is there?) As I mentioned in some of my very first blog posts, I have hypothyroidism, and I'm educating myself about how I can take better care of myself. (Mainly, I'd like my hair to stop falling out and to be less fatigued.)

Various websites say that soy actually can effect our medicine that we take. Some say we shouldn't eat it at all, while others say we should wait at least four hours to eat things with soy in them. (I'm not linking the sites, nor did I quote stuff; go do your own research) So I'm putting it to the test. Will eating soy free actually make me possibly feel better?

I went to our local health food mart, Sprouts (I guess that's what it is.) and actually found quite a bit of soy free things. Now, mind you, I had to look. But, Udi's I was able to get a bit of. I got bread, bagels, buns, granola, and muffins. They're actually pretty tasty and gluten free for you people that have that issue. I found quite a bit of breakfast food, along with some snacks. Mostly, sweet potato chips. I don't snack often, but sometimes at work, you just need that bite of something to keep you from falling asleep. I also picked up some Odwalla juices. But, some of those have soy in them, so read the label!

And so far, it hasn't been too bad of a challenge. Yes, it is annoying to read every label, and sigh sadly as you put back the container of cookies, but know in the long run, that it might be worth it. We shall see. 

Another thing I'm doing is cutting fast food out of my life. Well, maybe once a month I order a pizza or grab some Taco Bell, but honestly? It's not the same. I ordered a pizza a couple of weeks ago, and after eating on it for a couple of days, I just felt like a fatass; bloated. None of my pants fit. Curious. 

So, in honor of World Thyroid Day, which was apparently yesterday, I shall see if going soy free is actually worth it!


*Note: The food reviews are my honest opinions. Not being paid to kiss ass.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck!

    I have read that it is processed soy that is a problem, but fermented soy is actually good for you.

    and also, I like your disclaimer at the bottom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason could tell you what he learned about soy while deployed, from a guy that did a report on the nutritional benefits or lack thereof from soy. That Dr. Brownstein guy also said say was a no-no for thyroid.

    I'm going to get the CO trip out of the way, and see if I can get an appointment with a DO, maybe even try to change my PCM (since I can't stand the guy). I might be trying to go soy free then as well, if it works for you!

    ReplyDelete