15 June 2013

Gradumacated.

So, these past few weeks, I've been a bit...busy. And by busy, I mean, I've been TDY at Fort Leavenworth participating in the CES Basic Course. Quite the experience. I'd been dreading it for months. From what I gathered from my coworkers, it was nothing but public speaking, which makes me feel faint even thinking about it. I tried to get out of it, and then I decided it would be a good career move for me, so I bit the bullet, packed my things and went.

I have to say, I'm glad I did. I couldn't have been more luckier. I had a fantastic team, fantastic classmates and an even more fantastic teacher. I actually learned quite a bit from this course. The CES Basic Course is a two week course provided to civilian employees in the Army. Basically, it helps us improve our work, communication, leader, and team working skills. We learn valuable information to bring back into the workplace with us. Also, we gain networking opportunities.
My awesome classmates, teacher, and I.

It was also to have a nice two week "vacation" from work and to get away. It was also nice to visit Fort Leavenworth. It's a very beautiful place; called "Hometown of the Army" and I can see why. Despite having prisons everywhere, 95% of the people I encountered were very friendly, and would always say some sort of greeting when passing. Customer service was also fantastic. I was shocked. Living in El Paso, you just don't have great customer service and when you find it, it's rare.

Overall, if you get the chance to go to this course, by all means. Go. I don't know what it'll do for your resume in the military civilian workforce, but I have a feeling it'll help you in the long run.


No last name for you!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the experience after all. Now I want to see Leavenworth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has that small town feel. The houses on post are gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Hooray! So glad that it was a positive, pleasant experience for you! How were the fabric/yarn shops??? (And I think all customer service outside of EP is fantastic after you're used to the non-existenent stuff you get here...)

    ReplyDelete