05 November 2013

A Quilt-A-Long and 100 Quilty Things To Do

In honor of Canoe Ridge Creation's Quilt Along, I'm going to kind of do a countdown before it happens. What is her Quilt Along? Well, take a look!

This beautiful image belongs to Megan over at Canoe Ridge Creations.
We'll be making the above pictured quilt. Starting 18 November, every Monday for a month. I'm pretty sure I can make that quilt in a month, don't you? It's for beginners and advanced quilters in the like. Though, I just love quilts that look like giant quilt blocks, so this quilt-a-long was meant for me! And the best part? IT'S FREE! Or, it could be someone's Christmas Present! Either way, I'm excited.

So, leading up to it, I'm going to "show off" my own personal accomplishments. Over at QuiltMaker Blog today, Diane Harris posted 100 Things Every Quilter Should Do. As a beginning quilter, I thought this would be fun to see what I've accomplished so far, and see where I need to improve. I'll be posting a few at a time, so if you want to ignore me, just go to the link above. So, let's begin, shall we?

  1. Visit a quilt shop.
    Check. I've been to at least five different ones in the past three months.
  2. Make a Nine Patch.
    This is for sure on my to do list. I have the perfect "fabric" for it, too. But, there's no rush for this particular quilt...yet.
  3. Make a Log Cabin.
    This, too is on my to do list. I won't lie. I'm a little intimidated by the thought of doing one of them. All those straight lines?!
  4. Label a quilt.
    Working on it. I'm trying to finish three and then I'm going to label them. (Excuses)
  5. Figure yardage for a quilt. DONE IT. I'm very proud of myself. I still was over by a lot, but better safe than sorry, right?
  6. Learn about warp and weft. I actually learned about this when I first started cross stitching all those years ago.
  7. Use a rotary cutter.
    When I first started being interested in quilting, my grandmother pulled out her pinking shears and started whipping out triangles and squares and it completely blew my tiny middle school mind. I won't lie, it scared me off from quilting for a while. Until I learned the power of the rotary cutter. It is my savior.
  8. Use templates.
    Not yet. But, it's coming, soon.
  9. Paper piece a quilt block.
    Done and done. I made the spool block. It was scary. That project is sitting in the naughty corner at the moment.
  10. Hand applique a quilt block.
    This is definitely on my to-do list. Applique is scary and amazing all at once.
  11. Make a yo-yo.
    I've seen my mother make 4389374953 of them, so I feel like I should be able to do them. But, then again, who knows? I think they'd be fun.
  12. Embellish a quilt.
    I HAVE. Though, sadly, I can't show you yet until after Christmas.
  13. Try free motion quilting. Longarm AND just regular sewing machine. I'll show you both those, soon.
  14. Stitch in the ditch.  Just did this last week. It's on the sampler I was working on all summer. I'll be posting about it, soon, too. I'm not so good at this.
  15. Try hand quilting.
    I plan on doing this soon. It's just not in the "rush" category yet. I'm thinking this might be my project to take with me so I'll have something to do at Christmas.

8/15. Not too shabby.  Guess you'll just have to wait until the end to see how I really shape up. I might even accomplish some more between now and the 18th, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment