15 March 2014

Be ware the Ides of March!

Cause, they make you do things. Like, go to the Quilt Expo. And buy Singer Featherweights. Oops.

So, long time no post. I finally have a moment to post in between the hectic going ons of what is my life. It's either go-go-go, or stop and sleep all day. I'm tired. I'm ready to be in my new home. But, I managed to save up enough energy for today's excursion: The Original Sewing & Quilt Expo. It was at the Gwinnett Convention Center in Duluth, GA. It was really nice! I wasn't sure what to expect, being that I'd never been to one. So, I took Mom along with me. Brian gave me one "rule." "If it can't fit in your bag, you can't buy it." Challenge accepted.

It was a little cramped feeling. They could have made the aisles a bit wider, but other than that, we enjoyed ourselves. There were lots of fun things to see and to buy. Some new things I'd never seen before, either! I meant to go back and look at some things, like always, but I was a bit overwhelmed. Saw some gorgeous quilts on display, too.

I was relatively good. I didn't really need anything. I was mostly looking for kits. Kits are brilliant. I found the Primitive Gatherings booth and it all went downhill. I was excited to see them there! They're my favorite primitive fabric makers. Anywho, it took everything I had not to buy one of everything. Well, a bit of it was applique, and I don't know how to do that yet, so that helped. But, I did end up getting two kits from them. I'm frickin' excited to make them. The first one I snatched up is the Stars and Strips quilt. I'm a sucker for primitive patriotic fabric. Hardcore. I clung to it as if it were precious gold. Then I saw the most gorgeous quilt ever. the Addie's Tumbler Quilt. I've been wanting to play with tumblers for a while, and there they were, all pre-cut, just waiting for me. It was calling me. It's 1140 precut tumblers to create a 80"x96" quilt. (Or two lap quilts.) The picture on the website does it no justice. It's unfortunately going to be put on hold for a while, because I have 398438423 other things to work on. But I might work on it a row at a time or something.

And then the coup de grĂ¢ce to my bank account. I walked past a booth that was selling a couple of Singer Featherweights. I was actually first struck by the Singer Featherweight 222 model. Someone had painted it a bright red. I was totally going to buy that one, until I found out it was $2500. Nope. Moving along. So I bought a little black 221 one. I borrowed one from my friend Charla, and I fell in love. (It's perfect for paper piecing and toting around) So, I impulse bought it. Now, I don't regret it. I had the money for it. But, what I do regret, is that I didn't research it. I found a few cheaper, in better condition on Ebay. But, this one has a 1-year warranty, so, I'll accept it as an even trade. BUT IT'S SO CUTE.

Have a terrible picture.
So, we had fun, ate some lunch at California Dreaming, and came home. It was a good day.

Hopefully, I'll start blogging more soon.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun! I haven't been to a quilt expo, scrapbooking - yes.
    I hope you're settling in and things are well.
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But did it fit in your bag? ;)

    ReplyDelete