18 May 2014

Ironing boards!

In the Great Stashdown of 2014, I'm slowly finding inspiration to sew and do other stuff. Some days it's just hard. Last night, I had a great amount of motivation and energy, so I finally created my two ironing boards!

I picked out my wood from Home Depot. No scientific explanation for it, besides the fact that it was the smoothest looking piece. Splinters suck. It was originally a 2' x 4' 3/4" Hardwod Plywood piece. I don't know what that means, but I liked the way it looked. I had it cut to 2' x 2 3/4'. Why? Because a yard of fabric is 3'.



So, I brought my two pieces home and got the following out:

- Batting
- Muslin
-Therma Flec Heat Resistant Fabric (magic silver fabric)
- Pretty fabric
- Grippy shelf liner stuff
- Staple gun

I regret not taking any pictures of the steps, but it was easy. If you can wrap a present, (no matter how shotty it looks) you can do this.

On the large one, I first applied a double layer of the batting, and stapled that down. Then, a layer of muslin and the Therma Flec, and stapled them down, together, to save on staples.
On the little one, I did the same thing, but, being that I had to "Frankenstin" my Therma Flec pieces together, I threw a layer of pretty fabric over it, to make the surface smooth. See?


Lastly, on the back, I stapled pieces of the grippy shelf stuff, to help keep the board from sliding around on my table. It just happened to be in the same room I was in, and the idea came to me. Also, it finishes it off nicely.


I've been wanting to make these for a while now, and well, I finally got the chance.

P.S. My husband was joking about putting legs on the big one and just making it into a table, which I thought was brilliant, but sadly, I don't have the room for. ONE DAY. 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Amber, I wanted to email you, but this looks just as easy. You are a "no-reply" blogger. You won my giveaway for two fat quarters and I need your address so I can mail them to you. I blog at http://createinthesticks.blogspot.com/
    My email is gochefs@hotmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I meant to comment on your ironing boards. Great job and inspiration. I love the idea of the gripper stuff on the back. Yes, I'm going to do that to my next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an ironing board like that!

    ReplyDelete