04 May 2014

Simple ACU Pouch

This week, my husband and I actually got to celebrate our anniversary together. Since we've been married, we haven't been able to spend one together, thanks to Army things. It happens. It just means the one you get to spend together are extra special.

Brian totally surprised me with flowers. From what I can recall, he's never gotten me flowers in my life. He came home, told me hello, and went back out to his truck. Then the doorbell rang. Being confused, I opened the door. There he stood with a vase of beautiful tulips in his hand. I was so shocked and surprised! He did a great job. I won't lie. I even teared up a bit.

So with that, a couple of weeks ago, Brian asked for a pouch to put some of his school books in. It was my mission to have it done by our anniversary. I failed. I finished it this afternoon. I don't know why it took me so long. It seriously maybe took me two hours total from cutting the fabric to finishing it. Meh. Anywho, I used Kelby Sews' pattern. Well written and easy to follow. Being that the zipper was so stiff/heavy duty, I needed to use the little pieces of fabric she used on the ends of the zipper for this to even work properly. Thanks, Kelby!

I used an 8" zipper, and cut my fabric to 9.5" by 11".



Here's just the outside. It's like the fabric ACUs are made out of. Nothing fancy. This was the only fabric I had that he even remotely liked. (Who doesn't like polka dots?!)


And the inside. The inside is like the poncho lining. And this is one of the most fabulous working zippers I've ever used.


And here it is with the books in there, with room for a few more.

See? Simple and easy. I didn't use any interfacing like she suggested, the outer ACU fabric is firm enough. If I had used just cotton, I would have used interfacing for sure.





5 comments:

  1. Cute! I'm sure he will get lots of use out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated anniversary! I'm glad you got to spend it together.
    I love that pouch - very cool.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was amazing finally being able to spend it with him. :)

      Delete
  3. He got you flowers?!?! I'm so happy for you :) Oh, and nice job on the pouch. That zipper looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HE GOT ME FLOWERS. I didn't brag enough, did I? I totally forgot to put it on FB.

      Delete