22 December 2014

Butterfly Sling Bag

Earlier in the year, I signed up for the Bag of the Month club, where you get six patterns from six different designers for six months. It was awesome. I think I signed up in like month four, because I wanted to see what it was about, first. By the time I remembered it existed, it was month four, and I was like "oh why not?" No regrets, friends. No regrets. They're doing it again this year, and I totally signed up.

But moving along, I haven't had the opportunity to make any of the bags for now. I made Emmaline Bag's Butterfly Sling Bag. Lemme tell you, if you've NEVER made a bag before, unless you're super freakin' confident, do NOT start with this one. While the instructions were well written, this bag made me question my sanity at some points. But, now that it's done? Totally pleased.

I mean, look at it:

Please also admire my insulation.

Okay, that's a terrible picture, but I was in a hurry to get it in the mail. But you get the point. It's a pretty awesome little crossbody that holds a secret.


BAM. This sucker opens up and has ALL sorts of space. You're looking at a zippered pocket, an ID holder, a quick pocket, all squished together by metal snaps.


When you snap them together, it creates the purse look. What's that? you noticed two MORE zippers?


SURPRISE INSIDE. On each side, there's another pocket, and six card slots! I'm pretty impressed with the functionality of this purse. It's almost like it's one of those wallet-purses.


Because I battled the stomach flu all last week and still look horrible, The Blue Maroon is doing a wonderful job modeling it for you.

Over all, I'd give this bag a 7 out of 10. I'm not fond of how the straps are attached, but I don't know how to improve them. I'd probably also make them about a half inch wider, too. Also, I bent a needle sewing over the zippers. Instead of using a 12" zipper and trimming it, I'd use a 10" and just adjust as needed from there. I'd also cut the fusible fleece to actual size, not smaller. If you've made bags before, I highly recommend it.

For my own "performance" I'd give myself a five. I screwed up in a lot of places, including slicing a hole somewhere not fixable. (Well, I put some Fray Stop on it, but eh.) I could have done a lot better with the zipper, it stressed me out. The inside zipper was fine, but the double zippers made me want to cry. Also, my fusible fleece did NOT want to fuse, which made things a bit worse. Though, I would make it again, just with a few adjustments.

I only got two projects out of the five? six? I was supposed to? It would have been three, but I embroidered something wrong, and thankfully that client is the most wonderful, patient person EVER, so I will be redoing it, soon. Could have gotten a WHOLE lot more done, if someone didn't pass on to me the stomach flu. PSA: If you or your family is sick, please quarantine yourself. Don't spread the joy.

4 comments:

  1. It's so pretty! I want one exactly like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have enough fabric left over. ;)

      Delete
  2. Awww yiss a cross body to love. I love that it has all these secret places but I can 100% see myself bumping up against something and popping those snaps and dumping the one section all over kingdom come (I am BAD at keeping a purse zippered) if I had one in that particular setup. IT LOOKS FABULOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly? The snaps ain't coming apart unless you REALLY yanked on them. I was a little scared to pull them apart at one point, lol. But, thank you! :D

      Delete