03 December 2014

What's black and white and red all over?

Why, my newspaper bag, of course!

Artsy.
 I had the pleasure of being a pattern tester for Sara at Sew Sweetness with her new bag coming out, the Holland Road Bag. Originally, I was going to use other fabric to make it as a Christmas gift, but after an hour of sorting through my fabric collection, I seem not to have that fabric, for some strange reason. It's a mystery to me, too.

Anywho, I started this bag yesterday afternoon, and finished this evening. I'd say it took me about six hours to make total, not including all my distractions (cats) and the fact that I have to eat and sleep. I also cut and sew slow, because that's just how I roll.


To be honest, it took me probably two hours to pick out the fabric. As mentioned, I couldn't find the original fabric I wanted to use, but couldn't find it. Cue fabric strewn everywhere and mental breakdown. So I decided to go in another direction, an hour later, I had it down to two choices: Newspaper or colorful Babushka doll print. Then, the riddle "What's black and white and read all over?" popped in my head. Bam. Bad joke wins. 

Got all the fabric and interfacings cut out, then started to iron them together. 

Pro Tip: When your sinuses are clogged, stand over the steam and inhale to help alleviate them.
I also have a hard time learning that if you soak your fabric, it takes quite a bit to dry. So, while eating supper, I waited for them to dry.



After supper was over, I cranked the music (and the space heater) up and sewed my little heart out.


I got the pockets stitched to the lining, and the straps stitched to the front. I also got them stitched together, but at that point, it was Sons of Anarchy time, and pictures were not important. 

Fast forward to today. I got back down there and finished up, remembering, how much I really don't like sewing small curves. No, really.  I like large ones, but small ones? Nope. Nope. Nope. After much struggling and cussing, I finally got them to the shape that they were supposed to be. Mostly. 

Then, I made a button. I've never made a fabric covered button before. It was suprisingly easy. Makes me want to make a whole slew of buttons. YOU get a button, and YOU get a button! EVERYBODY GETS A BUTTON. 

Anywho, it's finished. 


 BAM. There's the front. Check out that weather forecast. 

And here's the back. Who likes crosswords? Sudoku? SPORTS?!


And here's the inside. Four nice large pockets (and really wrinkly) that probably would hold a large amount. No, really. I can fit my 7" Kindle in one of them. 
 
And here's one of the Blue Maroon modeling it for you. She does it so much better than I can.

Overall, I think this bag can be done by a beginner, but not a super fresh beginner. Someone who knows how to sew, for sure. Six [guesstamated] hours from start to finish. Well written, clear photos, recommended...if you can sew curves. ;)

I used:
- Timeless Treasures' newsprint fabric
- One of the grey Kona cottons
- Mystery red fabric, probably from 2007.
- Dritz button maker
- 4 D rings from MeiMei Supplies on Etsy.




4 comments:

  1. Love this design a lot and the fabric choice is perfect! And I definitely WANT A BUTTON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVERYBODY GETS A BUTTON!

    Still waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! great colours and design!

    ReplyDelete