29 March 2015

Master Copy

For an art class project, one of the assignments was to create a "master copy" of an artist (be it photography, painting, drawing, etc) and recreate it in your own medium. Well, since I suck at drawing and painting, guess what I chose? Quilting. Yep. I replicated a painting with a quilt. Now, don't expect anything like the Mona Lisa quilted awesomeness, I did something a smidgeon less complicated.
 Originally, my first thoughts were with Warhol. He's one of my favorite artists. (Huge fan of Pop Art.) But, I couldn't figure out how to replicate his work. Then, I asked if I could sew something? Answer: Yes. So I thought and thought and, thought some more. Idea! I was going to try and replicate a Kandinsky! But I got a little too overwhelmed with all the options. Back to the drawing board. I googled artists, couldn't find anything. So, I went with one of my favorite methods: The Library.
I went and found the art section, and basically just snatched books off the shelf that popped out at me. About five books later, I stumble across a neon pink one and yellow. The name? Peter Halley. Never heard of him. Flipped through the book? PERFECT. Checked out my book and headed home.
Studying the book, I wasn't sure which one I should replicate. So, I turned to google. This popped up in the google search.

Photo from: http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/feb/14/antiques-roadshow-baton-rouge-la-hour-one/
I saw the top purple and yellow section and it just screamed "NINE PATCH!!!" at me. Now, this isn't the work Halley is most known for (Google him. It's pretty awesome) I absolutely KNEW I could replicate this, mostly, because I had all those colors.

And I did.
Please note: DEM STRAIGHT LINES

While my version is much, much smaller, I think I hit the nail on the head. I wish I had a little bit darker green, but I didn't want to purchase anything. This was actually really fun to make, and I'm going to proudly display it somewhere.




3 comments:

  1. It's even more awesome after reading its backstory. Even more kudos to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's still so cool! Awesome job :)

    ReplyDelete