01 January 2016

2015: A Year in Review

Oh hey there. I'm about to make a blog post that isn't about clothing, because I actually have time to write! I'm currently letting supper cook (ham, black eyed peas, greens, and cornbread. You don't fuck with tradition) and discovered that I have time to piddle around on my blog. My poor, unloved blog. I would love to make a resolution "to blog more" but I don't think that's going to happen.

Looking back on 2015, it just blew by. Dragged in a few spaces, but hey, it's over now. Let's review on how I did on my 2015 goals. (Because it's cathartic for me.)

1. Read 52 Books.
This is one of my favorite goals to make. Reading is one of my favorite things. If I could find a profession of just reading books, I would consider it. Sadly, I did not make it to 52. I only made it to 36, but considering the year I had, I'm gonna take it. I'm proud of myself for finding time to read in between my super busy schedule, and take time to dabble in a book or two. Yes, some of them were textbooks, but I freakin' read the hell out of those things. If there was an option for notes on Goodreads, I'd count them too.

2. Do Well in School.
Here, I finished second place. I finished three semesters at K-State in 2015. THREE. I am pleased to announce that I have a 2.975, currently, only because I stupidly took Macroeconomics over the summer and failed it. All my other classes were As and Bs. That stupid F brought down my wonderful GPA. Thankfully, I can retake the class, and when I make a better grade in it, it will be replaced. Aww yeah. Also, I love K-State. I love it almost as much as I loved my Junior college. I think K-State may replace my JC one class at a time.

3. Revamp Last Yesterday Designs
HAHAHAHAHAH. HAHAHA. Oh Lord, this was a HUGE fail. My poor little business has been put to the wayside because I don't have time to sew. I think I made a quilt top, an infinity scarf, and a few pieces of clothing. Nothing for sale. I think I'm going to have to just give in and put this aside for this year, too.

4. Stop Buying Stuff. 
 I have improved greatly in this category (see below for reason). I haven't stopped completely, but it was way less than what I was bringing in before. I deserve a pat on the back for this.  

5. Declutter and Sell, Sell, Sell!
If any of these goals I deserve a trophy for, it's this one. I was trying to figure out how to get rid of stuff, when I stumbled upon The Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, or "The KonMarie Method" to the rest of the internet. I read the reviews, I was incredibly skeptical that this small book could change my life. Oh, but it did. I got rid of so much shit. I can put all my clothes on one bar in the closet, instead of three. I had three empty drawers (my husband took two over.) I can find things in my kitchen. I don't have to worry about using all my free time to clean. It has caused me to even THINK before purchasing things, instead of impulse buying (I see you Target.) In risk of sounding cheesy, this fucking book really IS magic. I think by the end of the year, I've gotten rid of 10 13 gallon trash bags of clothing, gotten rid of things that are useless, and just really have gotten my shit together with house maintaining. If you need a kick in the ass, I'd recommend it, and hope it works for you.

6. Get Off Your Ass. 
 This is where I finished third. I am still the same weight I was this time last year. (I like food.) BUT the difference is, a lot of it is....muscle. That's right. I LIFT HEAVY THINGS AND PUT THEM DOWN. For fun. I couldn't motivate myself to do something everyday, so I hired a personal trainer. Benton was expensive, but soooo worth it. For six months, he encouraged me to stop sucking and be awesome. I can do deadlifts and squat with weight on a barbell and other cool things I didn't think I'd ever be able to do. I still can't do a proper pushup, but these things take time. Needless to say, despite the fact that I'm still at 140, I can walk upstairs without being in pain, and can lift heavy things. It's fucking amazing. NO REGRETS, SON.

7. Eat Better
 HAHAHHAHAHHA Nope. FAIL.

8. Finish Things. 
Eeehhhhh, I did okay on this. I won't say I failed, because I finished a few things, but it wasn't crash and burn, like the "eat better" category.

9. Be Happy. 
Yes. I was happier than I was in 2014, for sure. Way more stressed, but hey, I loved what I was doing. 

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear the KonMarie method worked for you - I'm planning to follow it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! At the risk of sounding cheesy, it really has changed how I think about things before bringing them into my house.

      Delete
  2. Okay, if YOU say KonMarie isn't full of crap, then I guess I'll give it a try. At some point.

    You rocked this year. Seriously: work, school, AND you found time to do personal stuff like read and actually working out. (You still weight a good bit less than I do, FTR.) You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only real hokum part to me is when she suggests "thanking" the item for it's service to you, and then getting rid of that. I could see how that could be helpful for others, but eh. Honestly, it's worth the read. If anything, I highly recommend it for how it suggests to clean your house (in categories.)

      And thank you! I feel awesome. I hope this year can be more awesome.

      Delete